Safety informationMountain rescue emergency number: 140 EU emergency number: 112
Your hiking experience in the Vienna Alps should be a thoroughly enjoyable and safe one. Therefore, please bear the following in mind: Preparation: When choosing a route, make sure it corresponds to your experience and physical fitness level. Check the weather forecast before you set off. The weather can change surprisingly quickly in the mountains. Always take appropriate equipment with you (e.g. rain protection).
Check whether the cabins and snack stations you intend to visit along the way are open. Inform someone before you set off of your chosen route and when you plan to return.
Tips and hintsTourist information Puchberg/Schneeberg, Sticklergasse 3, 2734 Puchberg am Schneeberg Tel. +43 2636/2256, email@example.com
Wiener Alpen, Schlossstraße 1, 2801 Katzelsdorf, Tel.: +43 2622 / 78960 www.wieneralpen.at
Getting thereTake the A2 to the Wiener Neustadt West exit and then follow the B26 towards Puchberg. In Puchberg follow the signs to the tourist office.
ParkingFree parking is available in the immediate vicinity of the tourist office.
EquipmentYou need a sporty winter garment (waterproof, windproof and breathable), firm and waterproof winter or hiking boots reaching over your ankle, gloves, a winter hat and sunglasses. A backpack with granola bars and drinks in a thermos for the trip, spare clothes to change, balaclava and a second pair of gloves (mittens), ski goggles and sunscreen.
Basic Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.