This high alpine route is a challenging ascent of the Ötscher mountain. It is part of a round tour starting in Lackenhof, and is a marked route without safety equipment (the climbing sections have been given a rating of Difficulty Level I according to the Alpine Scale). Only for experienced, sure-footed mountaineers, who are not afraid of heights and are skilled climbers. Safe and dry weather conditions are required. Old snow in the early summer is particularly dangerous!
Distance 12 km
If you have never been up to the Ötscher summit, you have never seen Lower Austria!
If you want to go at a more leisurely pace, you can take the chairlift from Lackenhof, look through the telescope on the Hüttenkogel and reach the 1,893 metre high summit via the broad west peak. Then the Mostviertel will be at your feet.
As a family trip with the lift to the Ötscherhaus and the Hüttenkogel (panoramic trail) with a telescope.
AuthorEvelyn Knoll (iV Michael Gansch)
Update: September 14, 2021
Getting thereA1 exit Ybbs, Erlauftal-Bundesstrasse B 25 to Gaming and continue to Grubberg. Turn left towards Langau and Lackenhof.
ParkingLower station of the double chairlift
33T 512243 5301473
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Equipmentsturdy shoes, rain protection
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view